In October 2011, Phil Bock took over the management of the Tortoise Head Guest House.
Guest now enjoy superb service, truly great meals, and a friendly atmosphere.
And of course, there are the expansive views, the wildlife and varied habitats which the Tortoise Head Lodge has always had.
Oh, and there's the serenity; yep, "how's the serenity?"
Along with the property owners, they have engaged in an extensive refurbishment.
Initially, this focussed on the essential services, such as the renewable energy system, electrical wiring, water supply and waste
Some of the initiatives undertaken between October 2011 and March 2012 include:
- installation of 4.5 kW of solar (photovoltaic) panels for
renewable generation of electricity
- installation of 1.5 kW wind turbine, to supplement the solar electricity generation, and to reduce the need for diesel generation even further
- replacement of the inverter, to provide a reliable electricity supply,
- installation of battery storage, sufficient for days, so the diesel generator hardly ever runs
- installation of two more rainwater tanks, increasing our storage by 50,000 litres